The College Airport was located on Airport Rd which runs perpendicular to Richmond Rd and Mooretown Rd. (click on image for larger view) At the time of construction in the early 1930s, it was suggested that the airport be named “Benjamin Ewell Field” after the former College president who owned a farm nearby. It was only used for a few years in the early 1930’s to teach flying to students.
The 1931-32 catalog offered Aeronautics classes in Ground School (four credits) and Flight Training For Private Pilot Rating (no credits). The flight training course fee was $150 and students needed their own helmet and goggles, parachutes were supplied by the College.
The College leased the airport until the 1980s and finally sold it in 2004. According to the Richmond News Leader, May 3, 1935, there were 5 planes at the airport and those who wish to fly over the peninsula were charged $1 or $1.50 for two.
This aerial view of campus, August 1933, shows Williamsburg painted on a dorm roof and “N” (for North) with an arrow on a Richmond Rd dorm roof pointing the way towards the airport.