Must Love Dogs

If you’ve ever visited the Special Collections Research Center, you may have learned that we hold the second largest collection of books about dogs in the United States, second only to the American Kennel Club. I love dogs and thought it would be fun to write a series of blog posts highlighting the dog book collection. This brief introduction to the collection will be the first.

Peter Chapin bookplate

Peter Chapin bookplate

The collection began with the donation of over 3,000 volumes and a modest endowment by Howard M. Chapin in 1937, officially establishing the Peter Chapin Collection of Books on Dogs. Peter Chapin was Howard’s cocker spaniel, whose picture is on the collection’s bookplate. In 1988, the collection grew by over 6,000 volumes with the donation of Murray and Shirley G. Horowitz’s collection of dog books. The addition of this collection resulted in what we now refer to as the Chapin-Horowitz Collection of Cynogetica. This is an evolving collection, with new additions added each year.

Peter Chapin

Peter Chapin

Stay tuned for more!

2 thoughts on “Must Love Dogs

1. Hi Kim Sims,

I am an anthropologist doing research on hunting dogs and their owners. Most of my work focuses on the Original Mountain Cur dog and the formation of the breeders association. I am coming to Virginia this week–arriving Tuesday and wondered about access to your archives on Wednesday Thursday and Friday, October 11-13.

Please let me know if the archives will be available at that time and what I would need to access them.

JoAnn Martin
    Professor of Anthropology