The centerpiece of the College’s Memorial Garden is a towering bronze sculpture of a dove, created by David Turner, class of 1983. Turner’s sculptures appear all over campus, including Bald Eagles in the Sadler Center and Great Blue Heron and Marsh Wren in the Crim Dell.
The College Airport was located on Airport Rd which runs perpendicular to Richmond Rd and Mooretown Rd. (click on image for larger view) At the time of construction in the early 1930s, it was suggested that the airport be named “Benjamin Ewell Field” after the former College president who owned a farm nearby. It was only used for a few years in the early 1930’s to teach flying to students.